Does a driver with a learner's permit need car insurance?
Vicksburg, MS

July 10, 2019  ·  By Beth Maggio of Hennessey, Thames & Leavitt Insurance Agency, Inc.

Learner’s permits are driving permits given to teenage drivers before they become fully licensed. A permitted driver is allowed to practice driving in order to be ready for their driving road test. A driver with a learner’s permit needs to be insured when they are on the road.

Learner’s Permit Insurance Policies

In most cases you do not need to apply for your own car insurance policy, the person sitting in the car with you while you are driving will most likely have you covered under their car insurance policy. In most cases, the car insurance follows the car not the driver. So if you are driving your parents’ car you will be insured under their car insurance policy.

You Should Notify Your Car Insurance Company of a Permitted Driver

Depending on your car insurance company and where you live, the rules regarding adding a permitted driver vary. Most car insurance companies allow the permitted driver to be covered under the parent’s policy as long as the parent is driving with him or her. The permitted driver does not need their own policy as long as they are driving a car that is insured by the parent.

Contact Us

Even if you do not think, it could happen to you, thousands of drivers with learner’s permits get in accidents every year. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Contact us at Hennessey, Thames and Leavitt Insurance Agency in Vicksburg, Mississippi. We can be reached by phone at 601-636-5560, email: Check us out on Facebook or our website

Beth Maggio Insurance Agent

Beth Maggio

Hennessey Thames & Leavitt
1001 Belmont St.
Vicksburg, MS 39180

Contact Us

  • 601-636-5560
  • 1001 Belmont Street
    Vicksburg, MS 39180
  • Office Hours
    8 am to 4:45 pm M–F

Navigate Our Site

About Us
Request Quote

© 2020 Leavitt Group Enterprises · Legal Information