Christmas trees can go up in flames in just seconds and the room will be filled with smoke and fire spread to the entire home quickly. This holiday season; make sure you take the following precautions:
- Look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and do not break easily from its branches. The tree should not be shedding its needles readily.
- Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry out.
- Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested and labeled “fire safe” for safety and throw out any damaged lights.
- Lights you use outdoors should be labeled suitable for exterior use and be sure to plug into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
- Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree, surrounding furniture and décor.
- Bedtime means lights off that should include the Christmas tree, indoor and outdoor décor.
- When your tree begins to drop its needles and turn brown it is time to dispose of the tree.
Another good tip if you are buying a pre-cut tree is to cut off an inch or two from the stump of the tree so water can be easily absorbed. Check all lights before hanging them on the tree and when in doubt, just buy new!
Hennessey, Thames and Leavitt Insurance Agency in Vicksburg, MS is here to help you make these decisions. Give us a call at 601-636-5560, email us at: email@example.com, or come by and visit us at 1001 Belmont Street. We are here to help you.