Blog Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

February 13, 2020 · Personal Lines, Home & Condo Insurance

Most homeowners insurance policies help cover water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. Homeowners insurance may help pay for repairs if, for example, your drywall is damaged after your water heater leaks or an upstairs pipe bursts and water damages the ceiling below. Depending on what is damaged, two types of coverage within a homeowner’s insurance policy may apply.

Have questions?
Contact us today.

Phone: (601) 636-5560

Please note: coverage cannot be bound or altered online. A service representative will need to contact you to finalize your request.

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling coverage helps pay for damage to the structure of your home if it is damaged by a covered peril. Therefore, if a pipe suddenly bursts and damages a wall, dwelling coverage may help pay for repairs.

Personal Property Coverage

Personal property coverage helps pay for damage to your belongings if they are damaged by a covered risk. So, if a burst pipe results in a sofa or table getting water damage, personal property coverage may help pay to repair or replace the damaged items.

Be mindful that a deductible will apply before your coverage kicks in. In addition, coverage limits may apply.

Does homeowners insurance cover water damage from leaking plumbing?

Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage resulting from poor maintenance.

What types of water damage are not covered?

Homeowners insurance does not cover certain types of water damage.

Damage from Unresolved Maintenance Issues

While your homeowners insurance will probably help cover the cost of replacing or repairing a damaged floor if your dishwasher suddenly starts leaking, coverage generally will not kick in if the damage results from an unresolved maintenance issue, such as continuous leaking of a faucet or other plumbing fixture.

Replacing or Repairing the Source of the Water Damage

Most homeowner’s insurance policies will not cover the source of the water damage. Therefore, while your policy may cover the cost of tearing out and replacing that damaged floor, you should not expect it to cover the cost of replacing your broken dishwasher or washing machine.

Water Backup from an Outside Sewer or Drain

You also will not typically be covered by a traditional homeowner’s policy if water backs into your home through an outside sewer or drain. You could possibly purchase additional sewer or water backup coverage that may help cover damage from that type of event.


No type of flood damage, no matter the source of the water, is covered by standard homeowner’s policies. You should talk to your insurance agent about purchasing a separate Flood Policy.

While it is important to keep up with home maintenance to help prevent damage from water, it is also a good idea to check with your agent about what is and isn't covered by your homeowner’s policy. Give us a call today at Hennessey, Thames & Leavitt Insurance Agency in Vicksburg, MS. You can reach us by phone at 601-636-5560, by email at or come by the office and see us at 1001 Belmont Street. Check us out on Facebook or our website