Blog Insurance Coverage for RVs and Campers

Insurance Coverage for RVs and Campers

March 5, 2020 · Personal Lines, RV Insurance

Recreational vehicles, come in all shapes and sizes, from motorhomes, fifth wheels, pop-up campers and travel trailers. The type of insurance you need depends on the type of RV you own. The main difference in coverage requirements is simple. If you can tow your RV, insurance is probably optional. If you can drive your RV, you will probably be required to purchase insurance coverage. In order to legally drive on the road, you will be required to have minimum liability for your state. More coverage is available and optional unless required by a lender.

Have questions?
Contact us today.

Phone: (601) 636-5560

Please note: coverage cannot be bound or altered online. A service representative will need to contact you to finalize your request.

How to Determine If You Need RV Insurance on a Camper

Since most campers are towed behind a vehicle and not driven by themselves, RV insurance is optional according to most states’ laws. However if you took out a loan to purchase your RV a lender may require full coverage insurance to be purchased.

Coverage Types for RVs and Campers

Here are the different types of coverage for RVs and campers:

  • Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability
  • Uninsured Motorist
  • Personal
  • Injury Protection (PIP)
  • Limited Property Damage
  • Property Protection
  • Comprehensive
  • Collision
Camper trailers
  • Comprehensive
  • Collision

Liability insurance on the vehicle you use to tow the trailer will usually extend to the trailer, but you probably need to purchase comprehensive and collision separately.

Specialized Coverage Types for RVs and Campers

In addition to the standard coverages on RV policies, companies often offer specialized coverage. Most companies offer specialized coverage on both RV motorhomes and campers:

Total Loss Replacement

Total loss replacement is usually only available on previously untitled RVs up to one or a few model years old. Other RVs are insured for agreed value or actual cash value.

Custom Equipment

Custom equipment is important coverage for those RVs with custom parts. If you have upgraded your RV’s interior or exterior, you will want to increase the automatic limit. A standard policy usually comes with a $1,000 limit of coverage. If you customize your RV, keep track of how much you invest in custom equipment and insure it accordingly.

Vacation Liability

Vacation liability is commonly included with a set limit of $10,000 as long as comprehensive and collision coverage is selected. It pays up to specified limits for bodily injury and property damage as a result of an accident that takes place while you're using your RV as a temporary vacation residence. Higher limits are available. Vacation liability is usually only available for pleasure users.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside assistance covers towing for a disabled RV. It provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor when RVs are disabled due to:

  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown
  • Battery failure
  • Flat tire
  • Lock-out
  • Insufficient supply of fuel oil, water, or other fluids
  • Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway

Personal Effects (belongings)

Personal effects are not usually included in an RV policy. The personal effects coverage will insure your belongings in a covered loss while vacationing in an RV. A homeowner's policy might cover your belongings, but your homeowner's deductible would apply.

Specialized coverage is just that—specialized. There is nothing wrong with getting insurance for just the RV and opting out of all the extras. What's important is that you understand what is and isn’t covered. Let your insurance agent know exactly what coverages you want when purchasing the policy so you only pay for what you need.

Contact Us

Give us a call today at Hennessey, Thames & Leavitt Insurance Agency in Vicksburg, MS. You can reach us by phone at 601-636-5560, email: Check us out on Facebook or our website