Blog Homeowners Insurance Liability Coverage

Homeowners Insurance Liability Coverage

Written by Jared Thames—Sales Representative

February 8, 2019 · Personal Lines, Home & Condo Insurance

The homeowners insurance policy is very broad and designed to be a comprehensive insurance plan for damage to your house, contents, and liability. At Hennessey, Thames and Leavitt, we are homeowners insurance specialist. We know the ins and outs of homeowners insurance and we like to make sure our clients do too! Many people understand a homeowners policy is designed to pay for direct physical damage to their house, but they don’t know that it is also designed to provide coverage for your family’s personal liability.

Have questions?
Contact us today.

Phone: (601) 636-5560

Please note: coverage cannot be bound or altered online. A service representative will need to contact you to finalize your request.

A homeowners insurance policy has two sections- Section I deals with physical damage to your home, other structures, your stuff (contents), and additional living expense. This is the section of the policy that gives coverage for things like wind, hail, lightening, fire, theft, smoke, vandalism, etc… In a property loss, a deductible will apply. Section II gives liability coverage. Liability is probably the least understood part of the policy but is equally important. Liability coverage on a homeowners policy is very broad so let me give you some examples as to how liability coverage responds on a homeowners policy.

You are having a party at your home and a guest slips and falls breaking their wrist. Ouch! No worries—liability covers your guest’s injuries.

You are loading groceries into your car and the shopping cart gets away from you. Crash! You scuff the car next to you. Homeowners liability could apply to fix the damage you caused.

You are mowing the yard and shoot a rock into the neighbor’s window. Liability coverage will pay for the damaged window.

Your child unintentionally causes damage at their friend’s house—again liability coverage would step up.

Homeowners liability applies to all members of your household, not just the named insured. As you can see, it is a very broad coverage and if push comes to shove, a judge may be the ultimate decider of your liability. In that case or any case rather it is important to carry a high limit of liability. In a liability loss, a deductible does not apply. Much like the auto policy, homeowners liability coverage is the least expensive part of the house insurance policy. Renters and Condo policies also provide liability coverage. Many companies offer limits up to $500,000 per occurrence. You can also get a higher limit of liability with an umbrella policy. Basic umbrella policies give an additional $1,000,000 in liability coverage.

Call Hennessey, Thames and Leavitt Insurance Agency today to learn more about homeowners insurance. We take the time to answer your questions to provide unbiased and experienced advice. Call us for a free consultation at 601-636-5560 or visit us on the web at Or stop by our office at 1001 Belmont Street Vicksburg, MS 39180.